I have designed these writing prompts for people like me who have the bare bones of a story or character and just need to get to know them better. Every week I will publish five more prompts that will help you see your character and novel in a new light.
- Tell the story of a particularly sad Christmas Day through the eyes of your protagonist.
- Pretend your character lives to seventy five and is able to go back in time to now (however old they are at the time of your story) – what would they say to their younger self? What would they warn themselves about? Would the older and younger even like or approve of each other?
- What does your character keep on top of their bedside table? What is hidden in the drawer?
- Tell the story of the time your character was six years old, and left alone by mistake.
- Tell the story about the time your character was forced to help someone they didn’t like.